Kristy D’s Top 10 Tips on Selling Your Home
1) ABC = Always Be Cleaning
You want to sell your home as quickly and easily as possible. The minor inconvenience of being obsessive about every little smudge and smear will result in a quicker sale and being stress free when a potential buyer wants to just pop in on a Tuesday at 7:30, when all you want to do is eat dinner and go to bed.
2) First impressions count
Seriously, first impressions can make or break your house. Everyone has walked into a place before that just felt uninviting. Do everything you can to avoid that. Happy colors, new flowers in front of the house, well placed décor in the entryway and good smells help to make the potential buyer feel good about your house. You want them to walk in and say it feels warm in here and that’s not a reference to temperature.
3) A House is Judged by its Cover
From a clear house number to trimmed bushes, the way your house looks from the road counts. The first thing people are going to see is your house from the street. The moment people see the house is the moment they start judging it. Do everything you can to make that judgment a good one.
4) Be Your Harshest Critic
If something doesn’t feel right about any part of the house, change things until everything feels right. Don’t think that table should be there? Move it. Think the room would look better brighter? Take down the drapes. Imagine being the buyer and keep that at the forefront of your mind when preparing to sell.
5) The Brighter the Better
Everything looks better in the light. Whether it’s that shiny new hardwood floor or the new cabinets you put in a few months ago. Maximizing the amount of light helps to maximize your profit
6) De-clutter Your Home
- Tackle messes one room at a time
- Have a plan- months before your home goes on the market, begin setting aside 2-3 hours a week in which you de-clutter
- Clear off counters in the kitchen and bathrooms
- Organize master bedroom closet
- If you have excess furniture or household items, post them on craigslist for easy and free disposal
7) Put Your Efforts into the 3 Most Important Areas
- Remove clutter from counter tops
- Remove magnets from refrigerator
- Family Room
- Be aware of the furniture placement
- Master Bedroom
- Invest in new bedding with matching pillows
- Have matching towels in the bathroom
Buyers are very sensitive to cigarette smells, smells from the residue of cooking and pet odors. Don’t over do it with room fresheners, plan ahead by having carpets, drapes and furniture professionally cleaned.
9) Take Your Pets for a Ride
For every person that loves pets there is another person who is afraid of them or has allergies. Make sure to take your pets with you or make arrangements to stay with your neighbor while agents are showing your home. Don’t let the love of your pet stand between you and a SOLD sign in your front yard.
10) Choose the Right Realtor the First Time!
Call Kristy Darragh 813-931-6700